Moving is really not an easy job and can make one feel overwhelmed. There is really no way around that, but it can be a lot more tolerable and less stressful. Many moving generally takes place these few months. To make your move stress-free, below is a guide with everything you need to know about moving, from packing secrets to remembering to forward your mail.
Sell or Donate Your Belongings
The perfect excuse to purge the clothes you never wear, donate the lamp you never liked and eat all the leftovers in your freezer is when you plan to move. If you have plans to sell your belongings, list them online a month before your move to ensure that you receive the best offers possible.
Clean your closet before you begin packing your clothes. For clothes that you have not worn in the past year, donate it to charity or give them away to your friends. Books, furniture and kitchen supplies can be donated too. Heavy items such as a table or desk can be given away to charitable organization and arrangements can be made for pick up.
You may also consider donating sealed pantry staples, such as canned beans and vegetables, pasta, peanut butter and cake mix, to a food bank. This way, you will have less to lug to the new place and you are also helping those in need in your community.
Purchase Moving Supplies
Make sure you purchase the essential items before you start packing – boxes in various sizes, packing tape, box cutters, bubble wrap and a permanent marker. You may also need a tool kit if you have to take apart furniture. In order to save money, you can use old newspaper as packing paper for breakable items like plates and vases. Tea towels are great too. You can purchase boxes from your moving company or a moving supply store, or even free boxes from your local grocery or liquor store . Remember to test how sturdy any donated boxes are before filling them with heavy items.
Packing can seem overwhelming, but if you start early, it will be a breeze. It is recommended to start your packing process two weeks in advance. Start with packing decorations and books, followed by clothes and kitchen supplies. Scroll down for some packing tips for an efficient move.
- Use smaller boxes for heavier items, such as plates, kitchen appliances and books so that they are not too heavy to carry. Leave the bigger boxes for lighter items such as clothes, beddings and containers.
- Plates packed vertically are less likely to break.
- Besides wrapping with newspaper, you can use socks to protect glassware and wrap blankets around furniture.
- Use saran wrap to cover open toiletries and food under the lid.
- Label all your boxes.
- Take pictures of electronics before you take them apart. This way, you will know where to plug in all the different cords in your new place.
- Put all packed boxes in one area to speed up the moving process.
- Pack your hangers in a readily-available box. This way, you can easily locate the hangers for the clothes you want to wear over the next few days.
Remember to leave your necessities and clothes for the first few days somewhere easy to access, like in a suitcase or clear plastic box. Besides clothes and toiletries, pack any essential paperwork, electronics, snacks and chargers in a box.
It is important to hire movers about a month in advance of your move. If you are trying to stay on a tight budget, you may want to compare quotes from multiple moving companies to ensure you get the best price. Click here to find the best quotes from rated apartment movers.
How much does it cost to use a moving company? A number of factors will determine the cost. The amount of goods being transported is a key consideration, but the distance travelled, size of crew and speed of packing will also play a role in deciding the total cost.