Mass shooting is not something that we commonly witness in our day-to-day life, fortunately. However, it does happen sometimes, and it can cause a large number of deaths.
The last thing you will want is your loved ones to be victims of mass shootings. Yet, what if you or they are a victim of such a scenario? In that case, you must know about the liabilities and other crucial next steps you’ll need to take. For example, you may need to find a shootings lawyer premises liability expert to know your rights.
What Is Mass Shooting?
Mass shooting doesn’t have an exact definition. The definition varies depending on data sources.
● It is commonly accepted that when there are 4 or more shooting victims, it is considered a mass shooting.
● As per this definition, in the year 2019, there were 417 mass shootings, and for the year 2020, the number is 610.
Liability For Mass Shooting
In a mass shooting case, the shooter is clearly liable for the incident. At the same time, it can be tougher to establish liability against anyone else who might be responsible.
The problem is, in most cases, it is almost impossible to recover compensation from the shooter, for the victims and their families. However, there have been a few cases where a third party was also held liable.
However, that is only possible if it can be proven that the third party has violated the standard of care and failed to prevent the foreseeable attack. Most of these instances involve business or property owners who:
● Failed to offer enough security measures.
● Failed in establishing a proper safety plan in the event of the shooting.
● Failed in doing background verifications, as needed.
● Failed to train their employees about the policies related to contacting police, use of force, and other types of emergency protocols.
Apart from these, the other third parties, who could also be held liable for a mass shooting incident, are those:
● Who assisted the shooter.
● Who knew about the attack before the event took place.
● Who sold ammunition or weapons to the shooter illegally.
Impacts Of Mass Shooting
To get a proper understanding of mass shooting liability, it is also crucial to look at the impact of mass shootings.
Mass shooting incidents usually cause a wide range of loss, damage, and expense for the victims. Apart from that, they also hamper the local businesses. The economic losses involve the following things.
● Mental health counselling.
● Funeral expenses.
● Medical costs.
● Clean-up and extra expense.
● Property damage, which includes replacement and repair of buildings.
● Crisis management.
● Penalties and fines.
● Additional security along with security upgrades.
● Workers’ compensations claims.
● Event cancellations or other business interruptions.
When it comes to an understanding or evaluating the liability of mass shooting incidents, it becomes a little tough. Seeking compensation from the criminal for the claims likely will not be successful in most cases.
As a result, third parties are often held liable for not maintaining the security protocols. It is always advised to take assistance from lawyers if you are ever the victim of a shooting.
Leave a Reply